Finding the best Ethereum poker sites can be quite a challenge even for the most avid and experienced gaming enthusiasts. We understand, online poker has been around for more than two decades, but it is still in a constant state of development. We are here to help.
10 of the best Ethereum poker sites we recommend
Things change, the game of poker evolves from one year to another. Sometimes it’s just difficult to keep up with everything.
We are faced with a choice between a plethora of poker platforms, each claiming to be a better host for our gaming habits than the next. New poker games and formats are being invented and launched constantly.
And if that wasn’t challenging enough, blockchain and cryptocurrencies seem to sweep our world off its feet and the iGaming industry is not immune to the phenomenon.
Rather than being nostalgic about the old days when playing a poker game meant going out for a night of drinking and gambling in a local casino, let’s embrace the changes and see the exciting aspect of things: we get to experience new things and who knows- we may even learn to love things we never thought we’d like.
How we tested the best Ethereum poker sites
We know that finding the right destination for your online gaming habits can make or break your experience and that is why earning your trust is not something we take lightly.
One thing you should know about us is that we are experts in our field, with decades of combined years of experience. We wouldn’t recommend an Ethereum poker site we wouldn’t play on ourselves. This is how we make sure only the very best ones make our list.
We do thorough research by combing through the hundreds of online casinos and poker platforms out there and finding the ones that meet our criteria in regards to licensing, trustworthiness, game quality, deposit and withdrawal speed, and variety of options, support, welcome bonuses, ongoing promotions, and overall experience.
All the best Ethereum poker sites have been personally tested by several members of our team and only those who received stellar reviews have made the list above. The good news is that we are not only dedicated to presenting you with the best options in terms of gaming destinations, but also to keeping you as well-informed as you can be.
What you should know about Ethereum poker
The world of cryptocurrencies has gained quite a lot of momentum in the last couple of years. Quite a lot of people discovered the benefits of a decentralized financial system, the technical advantages the blockchain brings to the table, and how important it is to try and keep up with the advances in the financial world.
Perhaps not at all surprisingly, cryptocurrencies have crept their way into the iGaming world as well. Whether it’s dedicated blockchain casinos or online poker platforms that simply accept crypto as a payment method, the important thing to remember is that this is unlikely to be just a passing trend.
We believe that crypto casinos and crypto poker sites are here for the long haul.
What is Ethereum poker?
Similar to what we know about Bitcoin poker sites or casinos, Ethereum poker can be defined simply as the process of playing online poker while using Ethereum as your currency. Of course, the whole story is somewhat more complex than that.
Playing Ethereum poker requires a relatively different process than playing poker with fiat currencies, starting with the platform you play on), the way you register, the way you deposit funds, and, finally, the way you actually play the game.
How does Ethereum poker work?
Unlike traditional online poker platforms, which require you to create an account using a lot of your personal information, the best Ethereum poker sites will allow you to play your favorite games in (almost) total anonymity.
The way we see it, you have three choices when it comes to choosing where to play poker online: traditional online poker platforms, hybrid poker sites, and crypto poker sites.
Traditional poker sites are the ones where you are required to share all your personal information and where all the transactions are done in fiat currency.
Hybrid poker sites are generally traditional poker sites where you also get an option to deposit and withdraw cryptocurrencies and use them as your preferred payment method.
Crypto poker sites are completely anonymous and require a crypto wallet to register and log in. The registration process is done through a smart contract on the blockchain and all the transactions are made based on that contract. Ethereum poker sites fall under this category.
As you can see, Ethereum poker requires a different registration process, a lot less of your personal data, and deposits and withdrawals are done through an Ethereum wallet instead of the traditional payment methods we are used to.
Pros and cons of Ethereum poker sites
Even the best Ethereum poker sites come with a series of advantages and drawbacks, like anything else in the world for that matter. It’s important for you to be aware of both the pros and the cons, and these are the most relevant ones you should know about.
- Decentralization: Unlike their traditional counterpart, Ethereum poker sites are not overregulated and are not governed by any authorities. They borrow the peer-to-peer approach of the entire crypto market.
- Anonymity: As I previously mentioned, an Ethereum poker site that is entirely built on the blockchain won’t require you to fill in a registration form with your personal data. You just need to sign up with an ETH wallet and that is where the story ends.
- Verifiable transactions: The beauty of blockchain and what makes this technology special (apart from its rebellious, decentralized side) is the fact that any transaction performed through a smart contract, whether it’s a deposit, withdrawal, or simply a game transaction remains permanently embedded in the blockchain. The data cannot be later modified, deleted, or altered in any way. This grants you access to all the transaction data from a certain operator, allowing you to verify the validity of their claims or even the fairness of their games.
- Volatility: The only thing we can know for certain in the crypto world is that the value of our favorite currencies doesn’t stay the same for too long. The fact that they are not centralized comes with the disadvantage of allowing the market to rise and fall without any regulatory body influencing the prices in any direction. This can lead to quite acute price variations and you need to accept the fact that while your bankroll could be quite consistent one day, you can wake up the next day to realize that half of its value has vanished.
- Rather costly transaction fees: The Ethereum network is not exactly known as the cheapest option in the crypto world. Transaction costs can vary from a couple of dollars up to a couple of hundred depending on the ETH price and the availability of the network at the time of the transaction.
- Licensing: While traditional gambling has reached a point of overregulation, licensing does come with some advantages. A licensed casino is governed by a gaming authority always looking over its shoulder to ensure the operation is running smoothly, legally, and in a fair manner. Crypto poker sites are often not regulated, don’t hold a gaming license, and are not overseen by any governing body. This can lead to some pretty unpleasant experiences if you start playing in the wrong place. But rest assured, that is why we are here to help.
How to choose the right Ethereum poker site for you
There are many factors you should take into consideration when deciding where you should be playing your favorite games. How you establish the most relevant things to factor in should be a mix of making sure that you’re not wasting your money away on unreliable crypto poker sites and your personal preferences in terms of games, bonuses, and promotions.
Play on reputable Ethereum platforms
Whether you’re choosing a completely decentralized Ethereum poker dapp or a licensed casino offering the option to use cryptocurrencies in-game and for transactions, you should always make sure you go for a trustworthy operator. That can mean different things.
You can do your own research to try and find out who is behind the operation, you can trust us and our recommendations, or you can use Google as your trusted ally in finding what other users are saying about the platform you’re thinking of joining.
Choose a poker site with generous promotions
There’s a well-known saying in gambling: the house always wins. That may be true to a certain extent, but you should also know that there is quite a lot you can actually take advantage of when playing on the best Ethereum poker sites. Every platform has its own creative ways to attract more players and keep them happy and entertained for as long as possible. The most common things you should look for are:
- Free signup bonus: Some of the poker sites that accept Ethereum are quite keen to show you that they are worthy of your time and money. To prove that, they offer some free funds as a reward for signing up. You can use those funds to test their games, see how everything works, and make an informed decision before putting any of your own money at stake. Keep in mind that these free sign-up bonuses generally come with strings attached. You won’t be able to withdraw them until meeting certain wagering requirements and will limit the amount you will be able to withdraw if you hit a nice win while playing with the free funds.
- Welcome package: The welcome package is reserved for those who decide to make their first deposit or first series of deposits. They generally consist of a match bonus, free spins on certain games, or both.
A 100% match bonus up to 1 ETH for example means that your deposited amount is going to be matched by the platform as long as it doesn’t exceed 1 ETH. If you deposit 0.5 ETH, your total balance will be 1 ETH in this case. If you deposit 2 ETH, as per the maximum bonus amount stated, the platform is going to add 1 more ETH to the balance.
- Ongoing promotions: These can take many shapes and forms. Whether we’re talking about reload bonuses, wager races, tournaments, happy-hour promos, or a quest-based reward system, they can turn out to be quite profitable if you learn to take advantage of their benefits.
Make sure you get as many poker variations as possible
Poker is probably one of the gambling games with the most variations out there. The popularity of the game, mixed with its deceiving simplicity and the quite impressive prizes you can end up winning has led developers to continuously come up with new and improved versions. Here are some of the most important ones:
- Deuces Wild
- Jacks or Better
- Bonus Poker
- Tens or Better
- Joker Poker
- Aces and Faces
- Progressive Jackpot Video Poker
- Texas Hold’em
- Omaha Hi-Lo
- 7-Card Stud
- 5-Card Draw
- Deuce to Seven Triple Draw
As you can see, there are many types of poker games to choose from and the good news is that every single one of them can be played in Ethereum-based casinos. The more choices you have, the greater your chances of having found the best Ethereum poker site.
How to play poker with Ethereum
Learning to play Ethereum poker and using the platforms can be a daunting process if you are a beginner. But we are here to teach you everything you should know and to help you every step of the way. Here’s our step-by-step guide to playing Ethereum poker:
1. Choose the right Ethereum poker site
The first step is exploring your options and choosing what fits your needs and preferences. Whether that means a bigger game collection, a multi-language or geo-targeted website, quick withdrawal times, exciting ongoing promotions, or a huge welcome bonus, the most important thing to remember is to always make sure you are joining a trustworthy operator.
2. Set up the Ethereum wallet for poker
If you’ve chosen a completely Ethereum-based platform, congratulations, and welcome to the new age of online gambling. This is where things are going to start getting interesting. The next step is to set up your Ethereum wallet (if you don’t already have one).
There are several wallets to choose from, but the most popular one is by far Metamask. Metamask poker wallets are quite often the only thing you’ll need for your gaming activities. You can even install a Chrome extension that will make things considerably easier and more facile.
3. Deposit funds
Depositing funds from your wallet to the Ethereum poker platform of your choice is a little different than depositing through traditional methods. You are going to need to make a manual transfer from your wallet to the poker site’s wallet as if you were doing a bank transfer.
The process is made easier by the possibility of using QR codes as addresses, and it generally lasts less than a minute.
4. Get your Ethereum poker bonus
As I mentioned earlier, the best Ethereum poker sites offer consistent welcome bonuses on your first deposit, or even on a series of deposits. You can either claim the bonus manually after making your deposit, it can be added automatically to your balance, or you are going to enter a bonus code when making your transaction.
This depends on the poker site’s policy and it is something you are going to need to do some research on before making your Ethereum transfer.
5. Play Ethereum poker and have fun!
As soon as the money is in your balance and the bonus funds are added, there is nothing left for you to do other than to start checking out the games and trying your luck on them.
Remember, you are doing this to have fun, so don’t let the variety of games overwhelm you. Play whatever feels right and whatever brings you the most joy. At the end of the day, what you’re looking for when playing Ethereum poker is being left with a big smile on your face after your gaming session.
Where can you get the best Ethereum poker bonus?
Finding the best Ethereum poker bonus should start with deciding what a good bonus means for you. Are you looking for a free bonus to test the platform before making your first deposit? Are you more interested in ongoing promotions or reload bonuses? That is a matter of preference and we cannot tell you what the best bonus is for you. What we can do instead is offer our top recommendations:
As you can see, there’s quite a lot to choose from. Pick your favorite or favorites and see which one puts you in the best mood!
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I play poker with Ethereum?
You can either choose a traditional poker site where Ethereum transactions are accepted, or you can go for the modern dapp version where the entire platform is based on blockchain, built on the Ethereum network. Either way, you are going to need an Ethereum wallet and, of course, some ETH you can easily buy on any crypto exchange platform.
Which poker sites accept Ethereum?
There is a multitude of poker sites that are currently accepting Ethereum as a payment option. Our recommendation is to choose one from the lists we provided above to make sure your gaming experience is going to be an amazing one.
Are Ethereum poker sites legal?
The legality of Ethereum poker sites is unquestionable. They are 100% legal in any jurisdiction where cryptocurrency trading and use are not prohibited.
How can you withdraw your winnings from an Ethereum poker site?
The withdrawal process can differ slightly from one operator to another, but it is generally a smooth and straightforward one. Withdrawals are made in a similar manner to deposits through the equivalent of a bank transfer in the crypto world. Instead of an IBAN or an account number, you will need to use your Ethereum address, and the transfer is usually done in a couple of minutes, depending on how busy the network is.
Is Pokerstars Ethereum-friendly?
No. At the moment, Pokerstars doesn’t offer members the option to use Ethereum as a payment method.
Final thoughts on the best Ethereum poker sites
Ultimately, the best Ethereum poker site is the one where you are having the most fun. Your personal preference is clearly the decisive factor in this decision, but we highly encourage you to make an informed decision based on our guide and recommendations.
This way, you can avoid any unpleasant experiences and you are definitely going to make the best of every single gaming session.